Pedagogia Intercultural e Cidadania
2º Ano | 1º Semestre
1. Analyse, problematise and defend the undoubtable multicultural reality that is the world where we must live.
2. Understand the need and aims for a critical and reflexive focus on this universe charaterised by cultural diversity.
3. Acquire the capability to assume, present and defend a truly intercultural stance; thus advocating the need for a pro diversity and pro human rights education, to be understood as societal development.
1. Introduction: the concept of culture
1.1. Cultural diversity
1.2. Culture: dynamic and constructive process
1.3. Analytics of the present
2. Multicuturality phenomenon: origins, basis and perspectives
2.1. History political, economical and social cultural factors
3. Intercultural pedagogy: scope, concepts and objectives
3.1. Policies, models and programmes of/in multiculturality
3.3. Intercultural competences
3.4. Training of agents from interculturality: intercultural mediation
4. Human Rights as the basis of interculturality
5. Education and Development
Teaching methodologies (including evalution)- Presentation; Debate; Document analysis; Individual work; Simulation; Group work; Case studies.
Active methodologies will be used in the development of knowledge undertaken by the student, with the teacher acting as a facilitator and personal tutor for contents and strategies of work/research. Work to approach specific programme topics will be conducted (teacher presentation and documentation), in tandem with research and discussion led by the student/group (debate, individual work, group work and analysis of case studies).
The methodology is characterised by a strong formative element as a means to provide apropriation, discussion and renewal of the knowledge being acquired and interiorised.
- Evaluation: Participation in academic activities/research (essays, forums, autonomous work) (20%), Individual work (80%)
Essential Bibliography (including ISBN)Abdallah-Pretceille, M. (2001). La educación intercultural. Barcelona: Idea Books.
Aguado, T. (2003). Pedagogía intercultural. Madrid: McGraw-Hill. ISBN: 84-481-3975-5
Cortesão, L. & Stoer, S. (1999). Levantando a pedra. Da pedagogia inter/multicultural às políticas educativas numa época de transnacionalização. Porto: Ed. Afrontamento. ISBN: 972360499X
Gomes, M. P. et al. (2013). Violence Prevention and Resilience Promotion in Schools. Report about the international research project Strong - Supportive Tools for open-minded, and non-violent Grassroots work in schools. Freiburg: FEL-Verlag. ISBN 3932650413
Gomes, M. P. et al. (2011). Problématisation de l'interculturalité en partant d'une experiénce problématique. In Revista Itinerários de Filosofia da Educação (Univ. Porto), nº10, 2º semestre 2011. Porto: Ed. Afrontamento, pp. 33-51.
Sales, A. & García, R. (1997). Programas de educación intercultural. Bilbao: Desclée De Brouwer. ISBN: 8433012584